I have started to think about what I want my scene to be for this project – to start off I needed to look at games currently on the market that are puzzle based. I made a mind-map of different puzzle games which you can see in the image below:
Many of these games are 2D games, maybe this is because puzzle games work best as 2D experiences rather than 3D ones. Or maybe this is because these specific games wouldn’t work as 3D games. I picked a few of the games from the above mind map and then went into more depth into what they are and their themes – you can see this in the image below:
Having looked further into these games and their themes, it helped me get an idea of what I wanted to do for my project. I decided I wanted to give my game a dark theme with an increasing level of difficulty. I made a mind-map of different types of scenes that I could make for the project – you can see this in the image below:
My game would be filled with different events,traps, puzzles and challenges for the player to get past, so I done a mind-map of different types of puzzle, events and traps that I could use in my scene. You can see this in the image below:
I decided I wanted my game to be made using the Infinity Blade: Grass Lands asset pack. I decided I would have the following level interactions in my level.
That is all my mind-maps complete.
To give a visual representation of the kind of theme and feel I wanted from my level, I went to Pinterest and created a board to pin some ideas to. I pinned stuff that looked nice and gave off certain visuals that would inspire me. You can view this Pinterest board, using the link below:
This was just to give me a starting point for a mood-board based on my chosen ideas. I created some mood-boards using Photoshop which you can view below:
Pseudo-code is done to plan out your coding before going into an engine to actually code. I have done mine using www.draw.io.
I started off by drawing out some ideas for different floor plans. I have shown these below (click to enlarge):
I decided to go with the following floor-plan:
I then made a digital version of this floor-plan and made it look more structured. This is the very basic version of my digital floor-plan:
I then created a second floor-plan to break-down the individual parts of the map and described what each part will aim to achieve.
I then created a floor-plan to show where my item’s would be placed in the level and where they’d be used.
I then moved onto creating a floor-plan with where all the level interaction will be. There are some interaction that can’t be placed on a floor-plan, however, such as an inventory system or the use of timeline nodes.
That’s all my floor-plans competed.